Curriculum & Departments
At East New York Family Academy, we strive to make the transition from Elementary school to Middle School as smoothly as possible. During sixth grade, students are given an academic foundation meant to be used throughout their entire school career. During seventh grade, students will refine the skills they gained during their previous year and begin using their academic abilities as evidenced by several long term projects in English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies. During eighth grade, students synthesize all of the information they have gained over the previous three years and put together their graduation portfolios.
Our high school curriculum introduces the rudiments of college instruction. Between ninth grade and twelfth grade, students are engaged in work and activities designed to create an easy transition between high school and college. All students take at least one regents exam in English, Social Studies, Math and science. Many of our students take at least one AP class during their time at ENYFA. Our graduates have gone on to competitive programs at schools such as Cornell, Harvard, St. John's and Alfred University.
Why do we learn Mathematics at ENYFA?
- To become competent users of mathematics and its applications.
- To think logically and abstractly.
- To become mathematical thinkers and lifelong learners who realize that mathematics can be used in any profession.
Why do we learn Science at ENYFA?
The goal of building knowledge in Science is to utilize critical thinking skills, to develop ideas that are supported by evidence, collected through ethical investigations. These ideas allow us to explain and predict natural phenomena that affect our personal wellbeing and that of others. In order to enhance the way we live, by responding to societal needs and global environmental challenges. Through a mindset of high expectations for all and deep examination and knowledge of one’s personal beliefs, assumptions, experiences and identities.
Why do we learn History at ENYFA?
The purpose of learning history at East New York Family Academy is to become an enlightened and participating citizen in a democracy that uses historical thinking to:
- Distinguish between truth and fiction, opinion and fact.
- Differentiate between cause and effect.
- Analyze multiple perspectives and sources.
- Raise questions and think critically.
- Recognize the importance of understanding events in chronological sequence.
- Gather evidence in support of defensible claims/arguments.
Why do we learn Foreign Languages at ENYFA?
- To understand and appreciate the way of life, customs, values, and cultures of people from many different countries.
- To improve our understanding of the English language. You will come across many foreign words that are used in science, literature, culinary, politics, fashion, arts, etc.
- For career opportunities- an asset to you in a variety of careers
Why we learn The Arts at ENYFA?
The purpose of learning the arts at ENYFA is to:
- Develop an understanding of the Elements of Art and the Principles of design.
- Deepen their knowledge through the exploration of media, painting, drawing, collage, sculpture, graphic design, and digital media.
- Learn the arts to become literate and make social, cultural, and historical connections.
- Engage in learning beyond the classroom by sharing in the rich diversity of their communities and become advocates for art.
- Develop a knowledge of the language of music through study and performance.
- Demonstrate independence through reading, composing, performing, and improvising music.
- Develop self-discipline to apply oneself to tasks as an artist and life-long learner.
English Language Arts
Why do we learn English Language Arts at ENYFA?
The purpose of learning English at East New York Family Academy is to:
- Read, write and speak thoughtfully
- Be skillful in identifying how the author uses literary devices to create meaning
- Write across a variety of genres,
- Develop a lifelong love of reading and writing.
Why do we learn Physical Education at ENYFA?
- To learn the knowledge and skill to be lifetime movers to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Learn to manage personal and community resources to be physically active.
- To be safe while participating in physical activity and exercise.
- To accept teammates regardless of ability and treat opponents with respect and courtesy.
- Be able to self analyze skill or strategy to improve performance.
- Demonstrate basic competence in a variety of physical activities.
Computer Science & Coding
Why do we learn Computer Science and Coding at ENYFA?
- Computer Science introduces us to computing, abstraction, algorithms, programming, and The Internet.
- Computing is a creative activity.
- Abstraction reduces information and details to facilitate focus on concepts.
- Algorithms are used to develop and express solutions to computational problems.
- Programming enables problem-solving, human expression, and creation of knowledge.
- The Internet pervades modern computing, and computing has a global impact.